Sunday, April 1, 2007

What is the worst thing you can give a procrastinator?

A deadline! Ha. But today I'm feeling it.

On a whim a few weeks ago I applied for a job. It is a job that is way beneath my level of skill and experience, with the pay to match, and yet offered an opportunity of experience in the dream field of my choice, a qualification that would enable me to work in pretty much every city in the country, and some helpful "tax reduction" strategies.

I had an interview two weeks ago, and was there for over 90 minutes meeting everyone and talking with the boss man. I hadn't heard anything and was starting to think I'd read him wrong in the interview, but on Friday he called. He's moving offices and trying to sort the paperwork out with the relevant government departments, but thinks I'm completely the right person for the job, and (as we're leaving on a 7 week overseas holiday in - oh - 2 weeks) could I come in for a few days before I go, to get the feel for things.

So I have until tomorrow to decide if this is the way I want to go about getting into my chosen field. I have a list of questions to ask him, and have been mulling and mulling it for 2 days straight now (hardly slept, but that's a whole other post), and everyone I've spoken to says helpful things like "you're taking it aren't you?" and "how are you going to study and work full-time?" Valid points, both.

I worked full-time last year, studied, did a play, and sold Tupperware. I am struggling now keeping up with one subject and two kids. I start almost rocking myself into a ball and chewing my hair thinking about working full-time, studying and running this house.

The job itself is a legal traineeship, which will give me a Cert III in Legal Administration, a worthy qualification. The job itself starts out delivering mail, filing and answering the phones, and through the 12 months moves up to attending settlements, interviewing clients and drafting wills.

Thankfully the money isn't really the issue. We'll be slightly better off by me working for 12 months, and then when the money picks up a bit, and the girls start school (in 20 odd months, and nearly 3 years) it will keep on getting better.

Obviously my whole life will be reduced to work, kids, study - probably in that order, but the thought of finishing my degree with 6 or 7 years experience in an office is almost too tempting to give up.

So, I guess I'm taking the job. I mean, this is probably for the best. Imagine all the things I can procrastinate now...

No comments: