Thursday, April 5, 2007

How to Procrastinate 101

There is really a very simple way to avoid anything that needs doing.

Find a new project

Whenever you are bored, or lack the motivation to complete a given task (particularly one that has a deadline flying straight towards your head) find a new project to devote your precious time to.

Take tonight for example. The kids were in bed reasonably early, hubby had promised to do the dishes, and there was not a lot that was required of me. A sensible person in that situation would have taken herself into the study and actually, well, studied.

Me? No. Far far from it. Here is an example of the distinctive thought process that goes into a really good evening procrastinating necessary tasks:

I wonder what version of MYOB I have. Hmm, where's that box. I would have put it somewhere obvious - oh, here it is on the bookshelf. Oh version 16. Excellent. Well, perhaps I should install it? I'm downloading something from the net, so I may as well while everything's here. Oh, setup, well yes I suppose I should set up my data file now. Hmm, inventory. Yeah I do want that - better get those details out. Hmm, I wonder how these go into the system? Oh, what a good idea, that works so well. Why didn't I do this before. Well I've got nothing else to do, I should just enter all my items into the inventory.

Meanwhile, 2 hours later it's nearly bedtime, and study? Ummm, look, I've put it in my bag to do tomorrow as I while away the hours on Long Island for Good Friday.

Deadlines? I don't believe in deadlines

No comments: